The purposes for which the International Center of Medieval Art is formed are to promote and encourage the study, understanding, and appreciation of the visual arts of the Middle Ages produced in Europe, the Mediterranean region, and the Slavic world, during the period between ca. 300 and ca. 1500 C.E.; and to this end to sponsor and otherwise support study, teaching, conferences, exhibitions, displays, and publications devoted to medieval art and culture.
History of the ICMA
In 1956, a group of medieval art historians and enthusiastic collectors and amateurs of medieval art founded a U.S. branch of a French organization called the Centre Internationale d’Etudes Romanes (International Center of Romanesque Studies). This American group was eventually expanded to become the International Center of Medieval Art (ICMA). At first headquartered at the Institute of Fine Arts of New York University, the ICMA was moved in 1969 to its present home at The Cloisters, the branch museum of The Metropolitan Museum of Art dedicated to the art and architecture of medieval Europe.
Image of the Cloisters from Flickr.com user matmcdermott under a Creative Commons Public License.